This is one of my favorite meals. It’s easy to make and can be kept fairly healthy. Any time you see red, yellow, or orange bell peppers on sale, you can bet my family will be eating them within the week!
To make this diabetic friendly: leave out the corn.
To make this DASH diet friendly: do not use jarred tomato sauce. Use fresh cut tomatoes.
This is pretty low in cholesterol, but leaving out the cheese would be even better.
- 4-5 bell peppers, any combination of red, yellow, and orange
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1 can of mexi-corn, drained
- 1 can of black beans, drained and washed
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp of onion powder
- 1 tbsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of ground cumin
- Mexican style shredded cheese (Monterrey jack or cheddar will work too)
- Optional: 1 can of diced tomatoes (with or without green chilies) or salsa
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brown turkey and drain.
- Cut the tops off the peppers. Remove the stem and dice the top of the pepper into small pieces. Remove the seeds from inside the peppers.
- Sauté the diced onion and peppers together until soft.
- Mix browned turkey, peppers, onions, beans, corn, and spices.
- Pour 1/3 tomato sauce into the bottom of a Pyrex dish. Pour the rest into the meat mixture. Also add your tomatoes or salsa at this time if you would like.
- Stuff peppers with the mixture, then top with cheese. (We always put remaining mixture around the peppers in the dish.)
- Bake at 350F for about 25-30 minutes.
The stuffing makes great nachos or tacos, so serve the excess up with tortillas or chips!